[Samba] samba migration to another llinux distro

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 07:46:35 MDT 2010

You may have two general options

-  Have the new machine appear to be the old machine.    Run "testparm
-v" to verify the location of the private directory, locks directory etc
and other files that you need to move over.

-  Setup the new machine as a BDC in the domain, migrate your data over,
then promote the new machine to a PDC and demote and remove the old
machine.  This is probably easier if you have an LDAP backend.
Otherwise you can probably copy the samba private directory over from
one machine to another.

About the other questions

-  If you want Windows 7 support you need Samba 3.4 or Samba 3.5.   I
would go with Fedora Core 12 since it already has Samba 3.4.    Of
course you can always compile from source.  You may therefore want to
consider having the server move as one project, and then a  samba
upgrade as another project.   You could also setup a new machine as a
BDC (as described above) with Samba 3.4.x.   As you may have seen from
other posts, there are changes to may need to make when you move from
Samba 3.0.x to 3.4.x.

-FC11 doesn't seem to like ext4 for the /boot file system.  I would
google ext4.   Some people have an issue with the changes in journaling
from ext3.   I personally would stick with ext3.

And about raid-

- The 3ware 9650SE raid controller is a true hardware raid (I am using a
few.)  This means that you should be able to configure disks in a
hardware raid set and move it to another server that also has a 3ware
raid card.

-  The intel ICH7 and ICH9  raid controller built into some mother
boards is "firmware raid" (aka "fake raid.")  This means that the OS has
to have drivers for the controller and that the PC  OS and CPU is doing
the RAID processing.   I found out the hardway that Fedora Core 11 did
not include the appropriate drivers for it, even tho RedHat Enterprise
Linux 5.x did.      With Linux, you should either use true hardware raid
or true software raid.

The upside of software raid is that you can then move the disks from one
machine to another.

-  Don't use RAID5 for your /boot or OS slices.      If your raid
configuration gets messed up the system can't boot.   A messed up mirror
is easier to recover from.  RAID5 for your data is OK-  since at that
point the OS is up and running.     Some of my colleagues argue you
shouldn't even use a mirror for your /boot partition, but instead should
just back it up to another disk.