[Samba] ARGH... once again samba causes "permission" errors.

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Tue Jun 1 11:50:56 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Mike Leone <turgon at mike-leone.com> wrote:
> Hmmm ... my Win2003 AD NetBIOS (or "short" name) has a "." in it. Does that
> mean I should replace the "." with "-" in the WORKGROUP name? (I presume
> that using a "." in the REALM is OK).

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909264

The period is apparently supported for non-DNS names in NT4, but
should not be used in later (AD) versions. As NetBIOS names are flat,
not tiered or hierarchical like DNS names, the period would not mean
the same regardless.

Best bet is to take John's advice and not use them in NetBIOS names.

For a domain like example.com I would generally use EXAMPLE as the
workgropup or domain NetBIOS name when possible - other
considerations, length etc. need to be taken into account.

In general I avoid the _ character as it is not valid in DNS names.

Chris