[Samba] ARGH... once again samba causes "permission" errors.

David Whitney soonerdew at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 09:00:50 MDT 2010

Jeff,

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the FORCE USER and FORCE GROUP
configuration statements only define the *ownership* of created files,  not
who is allowed to create them. My inference from your post suggests that
might be what you're expecting - apologies if that's not correct.

May be a naive suggestion, but I'd try the following:

To the share definition, add

"guest ok = no"
"write list = nas"

Also, when browsing the server (not the share) from your Windows client, see
if the share appears in the list of server-shared resources. If it does,
right-click and check the properties of the share and let it tell you who
*it* thinks owns the share/has permissions to it. That might be some helpful
info. If not, my apologies.

-David