[Samba] Settings up a Domain Member server, to act as a file server

Matt Millar staffmm at congleton.cheshire.sch.uk
Wed Jul 7 08:59:15 MDT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to piece together a way of making a debian samba domain member
file server, but i can't work out how to do it.

We currently have a windows file server, which i'm trying to replace, with a
linux samba server.

We have a AD domain, with all the users and groups that will need access to
the samba server.

I'm hoping that i can register the samba server onto the domain, and then
configure a share to only access to domain\staff.

Can anyone help me with this?

I've configured smb.conf:

realm =  domain.internal
workgroup = DOMAIN
password server = *
security = ads
encrypt passwords = true

I've run:

net ads join -U administrator -w congleton.internal

And it said that the server has registered onto the domain (although it
doesn't show up in AD?)

I've then updated smb.conf with share details:

[staff_shared_area]
comment = Staff Shared Area
path = /mnt/sdb/staff_shared_area
valid users =@congleton\staff
public = no
writable = yes
browseable = yes

However, when i try and access the share from a windows machine it says "bad
username or password"

Does anyone have any ideas why i'm having problems?

Thanks,

Matthew Millar

Note : This E-Mail is sent in confidence for the addressee only.
Unauthorised recipients must preserve this confidentiality and
should please advise the sender immediately by telephone and
then delete the message without copying or storing it or disclosing
its contents to any other person.

We have taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses
are transmitted to any third party.

Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any party
acting, or refraining from acting on any information contained
in this e mail is hereby excluded.

Should you communicate with anyone at this address by e-mail,
you consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.

Printing this email? Please think environmentally and only print when essential!