[Samba] Default Hidden Disk Shares

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Jul 2 10:33:59 MDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 09:05:52AM +0100, Atkinson, Robert wrote:
> Interesting to see you say it's dangerous. The way the Windows version works
> is that you have to be part of the Administrator group to be able to see
> them, which I would have thought secure enough?

Sure, we could make it a root-only export. The problem is,
if we have a security issue (and these have been known to
happen from time to time), you've exported your entire
filesystem out *without a way to turn it off*. That's
the problem with doing it by default.

> Who would I contact to request this as a feature enhancement?

Just add the relevent share to your smb.conf files.

Jeremy.