[Samba] Samba multi-site advice request please

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Sun Jan 31 22:00:07 MST 2010

I am doing pretty much the same thing for a client right now.

A few things I'm doing that have made my life easier:

- Use the Samba 3.3.10 packages from Sernet to avoid any unwelcome printer
issues:
  http://enterprisesamba.org/

- Use a central puppet server to store/distribute your system
configurations:
  http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/AboutPuppet

- This Samba/LDAP guide from Ubuntu is pretty good:
  https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/serverguide/C/samba-ldap.html
  https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html

- If you don't need full DNS checkout dnsmasq, it is ideal
for satellite offices:
  http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

- Disable roaming profiles because they are a world of hurt.

A few pain points:
- Windows 7: it seems to be a bit of a lottery whether it joins the domain
or not (even with registry tweaks).

- OpenLDAP 2.4 multi-master replication: the instructions from the Ubuntu
and OpenLDAP guys are pretty straightforward, but when it breaks, or doesn't
quite work right, your head starts to hurt.

Apart from that everything has gone very smoothly.
Server and network utilisation is low, and even better, it has meant two
Windows 2003 servers have been put out to pasture.

David