[Samba] Error when trying to print with point and print installed drivers

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Sun Jan 31 20:11:11 MST 2010

 2010/1/30 <david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz>

> I have an Ubuntu Sever 9.10 setup running Samba as a PDC for a bunch of

Windows clients.

Everything is functioning perfectly except for the point and print delivery

of printer drivers.

> I have tested this with Ubuntu 9.10's Samba (3.4.0) and two of the Debian

Samba packages (3.4.3 and 3.4.5). All seem to demonstrate the same problem.

> *What works:*

Adding a printer and manually installing the drivers to the client works

perfectly.

> Installing drivers and associating them to printers shared by Samba works

fine via the Windows GUI and the rpcclient tool. Adding the printer to a

Windows client also appears to work, i.e. the driver downloads, installs and

the printer is visible.

> *What doesn't:*

Unfortunately when trying to print using the point and print configured

printer a generic 'failed to print' message is returned by Windows.

Just a follow up - based on Jeremy's response to the 64bit Windows printing
question:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2010-January/153456.html

I have 'downgraded' to the Samba 3.3.10 packages provided by SerNet:
http://enterprisesamba.org/

Point and print works without any issues with this version and we don't have
to jump through hoops to get printers on the 64bit machines working.
The only downer is one of the Windows 7 desktops is refusing to join the
domain, but I'm hoping one of the many registry tweaks around should fix
that...

David