[Samba] Dual booted clients with different name drop each other out of domain

Roman Muñoz tatel at infonegocio.com
Sat Jan 30 12:20:15 MST 2010

Hi,

I'm setting some Ubuntu Karmic clients on a school net. PDC is windows
2k3 r2. I realized that DHCP server sends only "school", not
"school.net" as domain name. I have been told that AD configuration was
migrated "as is" from an older windows release. I used a "supersede"
line on client's dhcp.conf to get a correct domain name. I'm not
authorized to do any configuration change on PDC but could see the event
log, etc.

Client machines are dual booted: XP client and Ubuntu client on the same
machine get different unique names. Ubuntu clients are configured
following the guides available on the Net, and are working quite well:
domain users can logon and shares are mounted.

But XP and Ubuntu keep dropping each other out of domain. Any ideas?

TIA
Roman