[Samba] Samba 3.4 Panic in Debian

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Thu Jan 28 06:43:25 MST 2010

On 01/28/2010 12:41 AM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon at debian.org):
>

>>> Referring to the SUBJECT: Where is this leading to a panic
>>> in Samba 3.4, I got lost in the meantime.
>>>
>> I'm afraid I don't know.  I was cc:ed on this somewhat mid-thread, and
>> haven't seen any panics; what I know about is http://bugs.debian.org/566977,
>> which reports that after upgrade to MIT Kerberos 1.8alpha1, samba domain
>> joins are failing because of the need for allow_weak_crypto to be set before
>> setting DES tgs enctypes is permitted.
>>
> Our user reported that panic stopped when he updated MIT Kerberos to
> 1.8....then, of course, he jumped into problems related to the use of
> weak encryption (at least this is my understanding of all this...).

That is exactly what happened, and I didn't notice any improvement with
the alpha5 version of
libkrb5-3 over alpha4, the originator of my current problem.  In my
testing of Samba unstable (3.4.5),
the error continues.  I intend to retry today with a fresh install of a
recent daily build, but after reading
the contents of the bug Steve mentioned ( http://bugs.debian.org/566977
), I doubt that the redo
will be successful.

For it to be more accurate, I did change the named of the subject
yesterday to:
"winbind failure with libkrb5-3 1.8 in Debian *Renamed*".

Thanks,
Dale