[Samba] single stream performance issue, Win2K, WinXP, Samba 3.2.5-4lenny7 (Debian Lenny)

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed Jan 27 15:37:25 MST 2010

Stan Hoeppner put forth on 1/25/2010 5:30 PM:
> Volker Lendecke put forth on 1/25/2010 1:28 AM:

>> The dual-stream one is kindof limited help. The interesting
>> piece is how Win->Win does its thing faster, so we need to
>> see that one.
>
> I've been busting my but trying to get you something meaningful.  This dump is
> less than optimal for two reasons, but it's the best I can get you thus far.
>
> 1.  Running tshark on Win2K creates a huge network performance hit and thus b/w
> numbers for small file (<250MB) transfers don't come close to accurately
> describing the real world.  With tshark running the b/w is less than half of
> normal with small files.
>
> 2.  Because of this I had to do a huge file copy to allow time for the client to
> level off at peak performance, which is still ~500KB/s lower than normal due to
> tshark overhead.
>
> Anyway, the file is over 400MB.  It'll take quite a while to grab off my server.
>
> http://www.hardwarefreak.com/smb-winwin-single-stream
>
> Hope you are able to glean something meaningful from it.

Were you able to grab this trace file yet Volker?  If so, have you found
anything interesting yet when comparing it to the previous Samba->Win2K trace
file?  Any clues yet as to why the win-win throughput is almost 3MB/s better
than Samba->Win?  If you haven't dug into it yet, as a reminder, this last trace
capture was done with tshark on windows.  The previous trace file was captured
on the Linux machine with tcpdump.

--
Stan