[Samba] Samba 3.4 Panic in Debian

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Wed Jan 27 05:05:46 MST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 02:22:36PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> >     Steve> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 01:29:08PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> >     >> OK.  Can someone on the Samba side confirm that the Linux kernel
> >     >> only supports DES for some Samba related Kerberos operation?
> >     >> Specific details on what is going on would be useful.

> >     Steve> The kernel is only involved when one is using CIFS mounts,
> >     Steve> which aren't relevant to winbind and domain joining; so this
> >     Steve> shouldn't be a kernel issue.

> > OK.  Then I currently have no idea why allow_weak_crypto would be
> > desirable for Samba.

> In the case of AD realms that were continuously upgraded from NT4 domains,
> you may have accounts only using RC4 as an enctype for
> backwards-compatibility with pre-AD systems.  I don't know if this is the
> reason these users are seeing problems, but it's the only case I can think
> of why allow_weak_crypto should be needed.

Sorry, having looked at the source now, I see that the weak crypto handling
is specific to DES, not RC4; and if Samba were *only* using RC4, this error
would not happen.

However, Samba requests both RC4 and DES, a historical remnant of the time
when DES was the only enctype in common between all Kerberos
implementations.