[Samba] Windows printer driver setup - editing .TDB files

smb23wc at gmail.com smb23wc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 12:06:19 MST 2010

Hi Everyone,
I'm running Samba 3.3.4 on FreeBSD with Windows XP clients.

Short version of question:  How do I get Samba to "forget" about a printer and its drivers, so I can install a fresh version?

A while back, I set up a few printer shares, and used the "add printer wizard" to upload the windows drivers to Samba (just like it's spelled out in the HOWTO book, "Chapter 21. Classical Printing Support") and everything went well.

Now I'm trying to add another printer, and I can not get the thing to go into the "add printer wizard".  It acts like it already has a driver for this printer.   Per the instructions, I browse to the Samba "Printers and faxes" folder, and enter "properties" for the printer share, but no APW comes up.

I've tried renaming the share; same thing.  I figured out tdbtool and have gone through the files trying to remove any references to the share name, but no luck.

What am I missing here?

-Thanks, Wayne