[Samba] Problem Samba Share

Robert Steinmetz AIA rob at steinmetznet.com
Mon Jan 25 16:02:09 MST 2010

I'm running out of things to check.

I have two servers running Samba 2.3.3, one as a Domain Controller one
as a Member Server.
Both are running Ubuntu 8.10. smbd, nmbd and winbindd using the tdb back
end are running on both.

On the Member Server when I access the [Projects] share everything works
as expected. When I access the [Windows] share I get prompted for a user
name and  password but no combination works
If I comment out the "force group" then [Windows] mostly works but not
there are issues with one application which will gives error indication
it cant create files.

I have worked through a number of issues eventually finding that pam was
not configured correctly, now it seems to be correct, getent now
includes the domain users and groups.

I can find no difference between the two shares but one works as
expected and one doesn't. The only significant apparent difference is
that [Windows] is much larger.
> [Projects]
>         comment = Project Specific Data
>         path = /files/Lucretia/Projects
>         force group = "ATLANTA\domain users"
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0764
>         directory mask = 0775
>
> [Windows]
>         comment = Atlanta Windows Files
>         path = /files/Lucretia/Windows
>         force group = "ATLANTA\domain users"
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0764
>         directory mask = 0775
A list of the directory
> root at louise:/files/Lucretia#
> drwxrwsr-x  36 trish domain users  1608 2010-01-20 15:53 Projects
> drwxrwsrwx 291 trish domain users 23600 2010-01-25 15:15 Windows
There are no acl's set on either directory.

--
Robert Steinmetz, AIA
Principal