[Samba] single stream performance issue, Win2K, WinXP, Samba 3.2.5-4lenny7 (Debian Lenny)

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:23:42 MST 2010

2010/1/25 Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com>:
[...]
> This is rather interesting, and disheartening.  I've just spent 30 minutes
> playing with tshark and windump.  For small file transfers, the presence of the
> capture tools running cuts the network interface performance in half.  If I copy
> a 600MB file, the rate gradually increases to 10MB/s but only after about 45
> seconds.  Given my limited outbound, I doubt anyone wishes to try to download a
> 600MB file from my server, nor analyze the contents of such a behemoth.
>
> What Windows capture tool is available that does not itself *cause* a further
> performance problem in the act of capturing the data to solve one?  This is a
> ridiculous situation.  This machine has a 2GHz AthlonXP CPU, 1GB RAM, and a
> 120GB 7200RPM IDE disk.  CPU for tshark or windump never exceeds 25%.  Why are
> these capture tools doing this?  They've created a catch 22.  I can't report the
> data without the capture, but the capture ruins the data.
[...]

If you can find a spare box with two NICs in it, you could set up a
Linux box as a bridge (even running from a live CD) and run tcpdump on
that.

Otherwise, maybe this helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812953

Wireshark seems to be able to load Microsoft NetMon captures, so I
think that should work too and might not cause the performance drop
that tshark/windump (winpcap) do.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>