[Samba] Samba Serving NFS Mounted Directories

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 25 10:57:42 MST 2010

On 1/22/2010 5:00 PM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> First of all, you really don't want to re-export NFS mounts via Samba.

I can't argue with this since I've felt the pain.
However, I still can't say that I understand its fundamental
cause. Here's my current understanding.

Assuming that network bandwidth isn't an issue,
which it isn't in my case, then, the "lockups, timeouts, and
other weird things" that occur must be because related to
how Samba emulates Windows' locking behavior on top of NFS mounts,
which have their own locking semantics.

Although I'd be the first to admit that what
I'm doing isn't very common, and probably
doesn't deserve much, if any, attention from the Samba
developers, I think that this should work - at least
it should work better than it currently does.

> Secondly, if you absolutely must do it, I recommend the following
> settings:

> [global]
>          # your other options here...
>          oplocks = No
>          level2 oplocks = No
>
> On certain shares, you may want to set:
>
>          posix locking = No

These settings seem to do the trick.

I sincerely appreciate the comments that I received on this
issue. I hope bring this up helps other people facing this
problem, if any.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest