[Samba] Testparm: "rlimit_max: rlimit_max (8192) below minimum Windows limit (16384)"

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Jan 25 10:50:26 MST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:44:03AM +0000, Miguel Medalha wrote:

> I just installed samba on a new server, 3.4.5-42, 64 bit version from
> Sernet, over CentOS 5.4.
>
> When running testparm, I get the following warning:
>
> rlimit_max: rlimit_max (8192) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
>
> I searched Google for some answer but I couldn't find a satisfactory
> one. What should I do to solve this?
> Can someone from the Samba team enlighten me on this?

It's a warning, you can safely ignore it. Windows 7 clients need to
have exactly the same number of open handles available as Windows
servers, else it fails in some file copy situations with a "out of
handles" message. Samba has taken care of it for you, but it's just
letting you know your fd limit is set a bit low.

Jeremy