[Samba] Cannot join domain

Claudia Rodriguez Brasicott claudiacrb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 13:10:36 MST 2010

I got the following error message:

-------------
The domain name LGD-SERVER might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then
the following information can you troubleshoot your DNS
configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service
location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory
Domain Controller for domain US3:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.LGD-SERVER

I though the server was unreachable, or there was a problem with the server
name, but when I do "ping LGD-SERVER" from the client, I receive answer.