[Samba] write list for share is ignored

Jon Trauntvein jon at campbellsci.com
Fri Jan 22 12:36:03 MST 2010

Dale Schroeder wrote:
> On 01/22/2010 11:00 AM, Jon Trauntvein wrote:
>> I recently updated a Samba server from Fedora Core 4 to CentOs 4.5.  The
>> old server had samba version 3.0.11 installed while the newer has samba
>> version 3.0.33 installed.  The following file is a simplified version of
>> my smb.conf file:
>>
>> [global]
>>  debug level = 5
>>  security = domain
>>  workgroup = CSI-INTRANET
>>  auth methods = guest, sam, winbind
>>  server string = Software Engineering Workgroup Server
>>  load printers = yes
>>  guest account = nobody
>>  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>>  max log size = 1024
>>  encrypt passwords = yes
>>  socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>>  dns proxy = no
>>  map to guest = bad user
>>
>>  winbind separator = \\
>>  idmap uid = 10000-20000
>>  idmap gid = 10000-20000
>>  winbind enum users = yes
>>  winbind enum groups = yes
>>

>> [cora]
>>  available = yes
>>  browseable = yes
>>  path = /home/group/cora
>>  public = yes
>>  guest ok = yes
>>  read only = yes
>>  write list = @cora
>>  force create mode = 0775
> Assuming "cora" is a domain group and using your separator "\\", try
>     write list = @CSI-INTRANET\\cora
>
> Somewhere around 3.0.23 or so, winbind started requiring the domain
> name be prefixed to domain users and groups

"cora" is actually a unix group.  My preferred relationship with the
domain controller is that it
take care of account authentication and that everything else be local.
In order to accomplish this, I create
unix accounts on the machine whose names match those of the domain
logins.  Apparently, version 3.0.11
no longer supports this.  Further, if I change the "write list" to match
the specific domain account
(CSI-INTRANET\\jon) that I am using for tests, the share is still
reported as read-only.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4797 (20100122) __________

http://www.eset.com