[Samba] Samba behind NAT

Igor sprog at online.ru
Thu Jan 21 16:33:01 MST 2010

Hello Eero,

I forgot to mention - I used DNS name available all over the
Internet like \\www.whatever.com

It just won't work though I can resolve www.whatever.com using
nslookup on windows machine and I can ping it and traceroute it, all
so server's tcp ports are available (not sure about UDP ones) but
they should be as well. I can access file server's HTTP but still
\\www.whatever.com would produce "Windows could not find
www.whatever.com"

It looks like the problem relates to NAT|samba binding, I had a similar
configuration but the file server had a direct IP address and I could
access it via \\www.whatever.com, the funny thing is that I couldn't
access it via IP address but \\HOSTNAME always worked for it.

--
www.rol.ru
Best regards,
 Igor                            mailto:sprog at online.ru