[Samba] Help with samba implementation

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Jan 21 09:54:59 MST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 11:20 -0500, roxane.b.eliff at census.gov wrote:
> I am writing from the US Census Bureau in Washington, DC.  There is an
> immediate need for samba to be implemented on 3 AIX lpars.
> Attached is the smb.conf file and testparm for dadsp003.
> Here is the scenario:
> 3 AIX, 6.1 lpars, dadsp001, dadsp002 and dadsp003.  Installed samba 3.0.24
> from aix6 cd.  Currently installed on dadsp002 and dadsp003.  Configured
> only on dadsp003.

That is a *seriously* antique version of Samba,  you may have some
compatibility issues with newer client OSs.  pWare provides much more
current versions of Samba for AIX <http://pware.hvcc.edu/>

Otherwise these is nothing different about setting up Samba on AIX vs.
other operating systems.

> The local networks on all 3 lpars are 192.168.0 and 192.168.1
> I have 2 shares configured. The daemons (smdb and nmdb) are running and
> users can connect to the shares on dadsp003.
> How do I add/configure the other 2 lpars (dadsp001 and dadsp002) so a user
> can login to dadsp001 or dadsp002 and have the shares available.  We do
> not use ldap on the AIX servers.  I am using smbpasswd to configure users
> as you will see in the smb.conf.dadsp003 file.

You will need to add identical entries to all three smbpasswd (given
that you have no network backend for authentication / identification).

> We have the "net use" command for dadsp003 working via ssh login from AIX
> to windows.  In addition to any configuration, my guess would be that the
> same "net use" command can be changed to point from the correct server.
> I have no idea if I am asking the right question(s),

I'm not sure what "from AIX to windows" means.

> but I have to start
> somewhere.  The developers/testers are way behind in their work waiting on
> the samba configuration.  HELP ASAP please.  I have read and googled to
> the point of confusion.

Google is not your friend.  Avoid all documentation except
<http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/> and
<http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/> which really do lay
it out step-by-step, especially the Guide.  Start with
<http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/simple.html>.

> A phone call would be great, but if email is the only way, then I will
> take what I can get.

Do you have the smbd & nmbd services running?  Do Windows clients see
the Samba servers?

OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>
OpenGroupare & Cyrus IMAPd documenation @