[Samba] SMB/CIFS seq. transfers top out at 30MiB/s (NFSv4 and HTTP: 100MiB/s+)

Johannes Truschnigg johannes at truschnigg.info
Thu Jan 21 09:58:21 MST 2010

Hi Matt,

thanks very much for your input!

On Thursday 21 January 2010 15:02:09 M D wrote:
> […]
> socket options =  IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
>
> After this, I'm seeing significantly quicker transfers to windows 7 clients
> - at almost line speed
> […]

I had those options enabled a while back, and tried once again today - to no
positive effect whatsoever. Performance has in fact been going down, albeit
very slightly, with those settings by about 5-10%. I top out at 27MiB/s with
all my clients.

Thanks for your insights regarding kernel tunables - I already tweaked the
kernel's TCP parameters (initial window size, rx buffer memory, etc.) to allow
for better transfer speeds on my GBit link, and other file transfer protocols
easily hit the speeds I'd like to see with CIFS - that is, more than 100MiB/s.
Right now, even OpenSSH's sftp-server using sftp is faster for me (with
considerably more load on the transfer's endpoints, of course) than smbd
serving up CIFS.
--
with best regards:
- Johannes Truschnigg ( johannes at truschnigg.info )

www: http://johannes.truschnigg.info/
phone: +43 650 2 133337
xmpp: johannes at truschnigg.info

Please do not bother me with HTML-eMail or attachments. Thank you.