[Samba] SMB/CIFS seq. transfers top out at 30MiB/s (NFSv4 and HTTP: 100MiB/s+)

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Thu Jan 21 06:31:24 MST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 00:10:07 +0100
Johannes Truschnigg <johannes at truschnigg.info> wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 January 2010 20:55:16 Jeff Layton wrote:
> > […]
> > Most likely, you're running into the lack of parallelism in Linux' CIFS
> > client. Writes are done in in turn currently and not in parallel as
> > they should be.
> > […]
>
> Very interesting; but that wouldn't explain why it's slow for Windows XP
> clients, would it? Is there any SMB/CIFS client implementation that's known
> for its speed so I could test if it's really a client issue?

Oops, missed that point in the initial email. You're correct -- it
wouldn't explain why windows is slow.

I *think* smbclient is actually reasonably fast and does parallel
reads/writes. You may want to try it. If it's also slow, I'd probably
do some analysis of the traffic on the wire and see if you can
determine the cause that way.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>