[Samba] How do update samba on Ubuntu

Martin Hochreiter linuxbox at wavenet.at
Tue Jan 19 06:06:34 MST 2010

Am 2010-01-19 13:32, schrieb Lucia Donatto:
> Hi all, I´ve got an ubuntu 8.04 server with samba 3.0.28 and ldap installed
> in a net that is working ok.
> I´d like to actualize samba to the actual version and don´t know how.
> Sudo apt-get upgrade will do?
> I´ve read in internet that some people uninstall it and it really scares me!
> If someone have any idea about how to do it and can give me a link or some
> clue about it, I really will apreciate it!
>
> Thank you very much for your time.

Hi Lucia!

I used that "how-to"
http://www.jeremycole.com/blog/2009/12/01/upgrade-samba-3-0-28a-to-3-4-3-on-ubuntu-8-04-lts/

That worked fine for me with samba 3.4.4 and samba 3.4.5

If you prefer packages - you can add
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pgquiles/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pgquiles/ppa/ubuntu hardy main

to your apt - source list and install the provided 3.4.3 packages.

Please keep in mind that there are differences between 3.0 and 3.4
(tdbsam, ldap-scheme, some config changes)!

regards
Martin