[Samba] Samba+LDAP + Primary GIDs

Kris Lou klou at themusiclink.net
Mon Jan 18 14:54:11 MST 2010

Hi List,

This may be more of an LDAP question than a Samba question - if so, let me know!

I have an implementation of samba + openldap, and using that server as
an external ldap server for an Openfiler install.  I've run into
problems with user authentication (WinXP) where either samba or ldap
is only recognizing the user's gid - which as I understand it is the
Primary Group.  However, authentication against any secondary group is
denied.  I've checked the samba logs, and as far as I can tell, uid's
and gid's (primary) are getting passed and authenticated - but no
mention of checking the 2ndary groups.

I've checked my ldif's - the groups exist, the users exists as
memberids, but it looks like samba is only checking the gid?

Is this something that anybody else has seen?

Thanks,

Kris