[Samba] Samba, and NFS. lag?

Gerald Carter jerry at plainjoe.org
Fri Jan 15 13:48:04 MST 2010

Nathan Lager wrote:
> Afternoon!
> I have a samba server, which shares out an NFS mounted share.  It seems
> that everything works rather well, except that i get some lag when
> modifying a file.  If i share a directory which is local to the samba
> server, no lag, everything works perfectly.  However, when i share an
> NFS mounted volume, i get about 30 seconds of lag while writing a file
> after it's been modified.

Hey Nathan,

A 30 second lag is normally an indication of an oplock
break timeout.  Just an fyi...If you are re-exporting an
nfs mounted volume on linux, try setting "kernel oplocks = no"
since I don't bnelieve the kernel file lease mechanism is
availble on an NFS mount but I could be wrong on that one.
Just a suggestion.

cheers, jerry