[Samba] Given up on Fedora Ubuntu is 1000-folder simpler

Peter Olcott peteolcott at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 16:31:34 MST 2010

I spent several days (at least 20 hours) tying to get Fedora 11 Samba server
going. I consulted every resource that I knew including this list. When I
discovered that Fedora 11 Samba could be browsed immediately upon
installation, and a simple reboot disabled this, I gave up. I decided to try
Ubuntu. After intallation it took only five minutes of editing the smb.conf
file to make my share fully operational. In terms of total cost of ownership
Fedora and Red Hat have become big losers.