[Samba] pam_winbind WBC_ERR_AUTH_ERROR before even asking for a password

Juan Machado juan at itos.uga.edu
Thu Jan 14 13:46:34 MST 2010

Pam.d/system-auth :

auth        required      pam_env.so

auth        sufficient    pam_winbind.so

auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok

auth        required      pam_deny.so

account     sufficient    pam_winbind.so

account     required      pam_unix.so

account     required      pam_permit.so

password    sufficient    pam_winbind.so

password    sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok  md5 shadow

password    required      pam_deny.so

session     required      pam_winbind.so

session     required      pam_unix.so

session     required      pam_mkhomedir.so

When logging, after user names is asked, BEFORE password is being asked
for, this is reported in the logs:

Jan 14 15:37:50 london sshd[4549]: pam_winbind(sshd:auth): getting
password (0x00000000)

Jan 14 15:37:50 london sshd[4549]: pam_winbind(sshd:auth): request
wbcLogonUser failed: WBC_ERR_AUTH_ERROR, PAM error: PAM_AUTH_ERR (7),
NTSTATUS: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD, Error message was: Wrong Password

Any idea why ?

And at the logon screen I get:

login as: juan

juan at server's password:

Wrong Password

Last login: Thu Jan 14 15:25:28 2010 from wve-systems-10.mydomain.com

[juan at server ~]$

As you can see, after I provide the right password, it lets me in but a
"Wrong Password" message is shown.

Thanks

Juan Machado