[Samba] Renaming a computer on a Samba domain

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Tue Jan 12 19:44:20 MST 2010

It's not a Samba issue. It's a Windows issue. Windows associates the
account name with a particular SID, whether it's a machine or a user
account. You can't just change the name like you can in Unix.

Now I admit I haven't worked on Windows Servers newer than W2K but the
NT domain stuff hasn't changed. The only way to change an account name
for a SID is to remove it first then re-add it under the new name. With
Samba and machine accounts this can be done by dropping the machine
account from the database then changing the machine name on the local
machine while adding it back into the Domain.

Again however, if you are re-assigning machines without re-imaging them,
you've got a security problem to deal with. I'm not saying you have to
do a DoD-type erase, but at least don't leave files around that can be
easily undeleted. Re-imaging has been around for more than a decade.
It's not that hard to do. And it takes care of your issues with changing
the name - just give the re-imaged machine its new name. The only down
side is (the last time I checked anyway) is you need a commercial
package like Ghost to give each image a unique SID.