[Samba] Does tdb can store incorrect encoding symbols?

Tue Jan 12 14:40:46 MST 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:32:43AM +0300, Сергей wrote:
> Hello, Volker
>
> > > So, I have two questions:
> > > 1. How to select one-byte encoded descriptions?
> >
> > Does "unix charset = KOI-8R" help?
> No because of my filesystem is UTF-8 now.

The file system might be, but for the purpose of fixing your
databases a separate smb.conf just used by pdbedit might
help you.

> The root of problem is - tdb file stores multi-byte
> encoding text and one-byte encoded text.

How shall we protect ourselves against this?

> > > 2. How to convert it to multi-byte encoding?
> >
> > Within a tdb? Probably just with pdbedit or "net groupmap"
> > commands.
>  Clear, thank you.
>
> My wish is samba tool for checking encoding of tdb files.
> What part of samba sources I should looking attentively for my wish sakes?

That's not an easy one, many tdb files store binary data.
You need to do this on a per-tdb basis. And then -- how do
you want to check the validity of an encoding. Something
that looks like a correct one-byte encoding might as well be
in reality UTF-8. How do you want to tell one from the other
automatically?

Volker