[Samba] How SMB client recognizes when to use PDC or BDC

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 09:50:42 MST 2010

It seems that the nature of the XP client is to use the BDC if
available.     You could try modifying the priority by adjusting the
folloing

     announce version
     os level

though to be honest I never got that to work for me.   (I have a samba
3.0.x PDC and BDC and a samba 3.4.x BDC and I did NOT want the 3.4.x
machine being the preferred one.)

If you are not using WINS,  the XP client should broadcast for a logon
controller and only find local machines.   I have not run samba DC's in
multiple locations.    I have with NT4 servers, which support WINS
replication.   I wish samba did as well.   If you do use WINS,  you
would probably want to make sure that you don't have a XP client using a
WINS server in another site.       If both machines are WINS servers for
the local clients you may have to edit an lmhosts file to tell each DC
about other DC's on the WAN.  Alternately you may want to make the BDC
in the remote office a WINS client of the PDC in the main office.

The other approach may be to have separate domains for each office and
set up trusts.    Each machine could be a WINS server if you used
LMHOSTS files to tell each server about the other.