[Samba] Production-environment AD rollout?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 13:29:16 MST 2010

On 01/07/10 11:37, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
>  Hey, all.  I've used Samba a lot, but took a job about four years ago
>  during which time I've only used it for one-off projects.  Looks like I
>  might take a new job, though, and I'll get to call the shots.  I'd *love*
>  to have Samba with AD running things, and just have Windows in-place as
>  clients (possibly with Exchange... can't win 'em all).
>
>  Is this feasible in this day and age?  I know (or, at least, think I do)
>  that Samba isn't currently in shape to share DC duties with Windows boxes
>  (at least, in a production environment), but can it be a standalone AD DC,
>  perhaps with other Samba DCs?
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  -Ken

Samba 3 (to be best of my knowledge) can not be an AD DC.  It can
however be a "NT4-style" DC.  You can have multiple DC's with Samba (PDC
plus one or more BDC.)

If you are running MS Exchange, you will need an AD DC.    In my
environment we a separate AD domain for MS Exchange, and have to
duplicate some of the accounts.     I think even if I had trusts set up
between the two domains, MS Exchange would not let me create accounts
for an "NT4" user.

You could still make Samba 3.x a member server in the AD domain.