[Samba] windows 7 and printer sharing

Ryan Suarez ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca
Thu Jan 7 09:57:55 MST 2010

> the main advantage of SMB printing is automatic installation of drivers.
> this is worth the trouble only if you have many clients.
> (and to my knowledge it doesn't work with 64bits OS)

We run 64bit vista and windows clients.  They work fine with samba.  You
can either upload 64bit drivers to the server or take advantage of point
and print behaviour:

<snip>
"if Point and Print does not find an appropriate driver on the print
server, it will attempt to find and install a driver with the correct
file name from the local driver cab or driver store. The ability to look
in the local driver cab is new starting with Windows XP"

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/pointandprint.mspx

</snip>

So by uploading a driver from a windows 32bit clients local repository
to the samba server, 64bit client will automatically use the same driver
from their local store.  This was the easiest route for us.