[Samba] windows 7 and printer sharing

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 5 08:49:08 MST 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:38:18PM +0100, Christophe Baegert wrote:
> IPP never worked on my Macbook using OS X 10.4, which works well with Samba.

Odd, given I remember Mac OS X 10.1 automatically detecting the IPP
broadcasts by cups (which cups was set to share printers with the network,
which it doesn't by default).  Apple is even funding cups these days.
As long as your print server with cups is configured to share with the
local network, and not firewalling it away it should work.

> But I didn't try it on the Windows 7 computer, I'll try that, if it
> works, indeed, Samba isn't necessary !!! Thank you for your help.

I have certainly used IPP printing with windows.

use the url:
http://printerserver:631/printers/print_queue_name

And install the right driver of course.

Of course cups should be configured to handle unknown job types as raw
(which I think is normally the default these days as well).

--
Len Sorensen