[Samba] web based index of samba share contents

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Jan 4 10:39:00 MST 2010

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 09:04:26AM -0800, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:
> Anyone know of a good opensource product to give google desktop like search
> functionality via web browser of a set of samba shares running on a Debian
> 5.x server. It needs to be able to fully index word, excel, openoffice and
> text files at a minimum.  It should also have some form of ACL control so
> that only certain users can actually search the index for specific smb
> shares.
>
> In this particular instance, there is a general office share which everyone
> should be able to use and a partners/owners/managers share which should be
> restricted.
>
> Staff are running Linux, Mac OSX and Windows.
>
> So far googling's found me this
>
> IBM OmniFind Yahoo! Edition is a no-charge enterprise search software
> solution that enables rapid deployment of intranet and file system search for
> both employees and customers.
>
> http://omnifind.ibm.yahoo.net/productinfo.php
>
> However this product only officially supports RH and SUSE.
>
> Any other good suggestions

It's a funny 'ole world :-). After leaving Whistle I trotted
up and down Sand Hill Road in Silicon Valley with an ex-Whistle
Exec (for credibility) trying to pitch such a device to any
of the Venture Capitalists. I thought it would have made a
great start-up company idea !

None of them wanted anything to do with it (sigh :-). At least
you and I prove that great minds think alike :-).

Jeremy.