[Samba] Can't get share to show up on windows

Peter Olcott peteolcott at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 08:15:29 MST 2010

I have successfully set of two Samba servers under Red Hat Linux 6.0 and
9.0. I am having trouble getting Samba 3.0 Fedora Linux Samba to show up on
the windows machine. I can't find the solution in either of the two books
that I bought, or the online resources after spending several days working
on this.

I only need a relatively simple network, yet I also want it to be reasonably
secure. With my first server I set up fixed IP addresses and edited the
etc/hosts file. Somehow my second server can connect to my XP clients
without changes to the etc/hosts file, and without fixed IP addresses set up
on the windows XP side. I don't know how it does this. I probably want this
new server to work this same way.

I must have two Samba servers and three Windows XP boxes all connected. The
Red Hat Linux 9.0 samba box is currently working correctly with the three XP
boxes.

Appreciate you help.