[Samba] LDAP backend replication?

Jakov Sosic jakov.sosic at srce.hr
Tue Feb 9 18:01:32 MST 2010

Hi to all!

I've set up Zimbra LDAP (2.4) as master, and I want to use RHEL v5 LDAP
(2.3) as a slave. This is relevant part of my slapd.conf on LDAP 2.3:

# syncrepl directives
syncrepl  rid=101
	provider=ldap://192.168.1.86
	bindmethod=simple
	binddn="uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra"
	credentials=PASSword
	searchbase="dc=company,dc=com"
	schemachecking=on
	type=refreshAndPersist
	retry="60 +"
	syncdata=accesslog
# Refer updates to the master
updateref		ldap://192.168.1.86

Replication works OK, when I first start LDAP, it populates
automatically. But after that initial data, it just doesn't pull
anything anymore. I have to restart it, or it won't pull data from
Master :( Problem is, when I add user to Zimbra LDAP (master), it does
not propagate immediately data to slave LDAP. I don't even know what the
interval is, I've never seen it happen in a few minutes after the Master
LDAP is updated...

Am I missing something? Shouldn't "refreshAndPersist" do it without any
delay (or with minimal delay)? Should I run someting on zimbra LDAP
side, or is the sync from LDAP 2.4 to LDAP 2.3 impossible? Would it be
better to set something like:

type=refreshOnly
interval=00:00:00:01

but this just seems like a bruteforce to me :( I repeat, after I restart
slave LDAP, all the new enteries appear magically.

I'm really confused.

Problems that occur with samba because of this is that I cannot add new
machines to the domain, I get the "username could not be found" errors.
I'm trying to free my samba of mater ldap, and bind it to slave ldap.
That way, updates will be refered to master, but if master fails, users
would still be able to log in. Is this a correct understanding or am I
missing something?

Thank you.

--
|    Jakov Sosic    |    ICQ: 28410271    |   PGP: 0x965CAE2D   |