[Samba] Is NTLMv2 auth possible with security = SERVER ?

Jake Carroll jake.carroll at uq.edu.au
Mon Feb 8 17:47:51 MST 2010

Hi list.

I've been running up against a bunch of ntlm v2 related issues recently with Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6 client systems attempting to connect to my Solaris 10 samba 3.0.37 server.

As it turns out, Sun engineering suggest that because I use "security = SERVER" rather than "security = DOMAIN", ntlmv2 auth will never actually work, even if I have settings such as:

client lanman auth = no
ntlm auth = no
client ntlmv2 auth = yes

So - I guess the question is, is it possible to use ntlmv2 with security = server, or does that fundamentally not make sense? The suggestions engineering have given me suggest it's just not possible and it needs to be running in domain mode to work. Any work arounds/techniques to get around such an issue?

Thanks all!

Cheers.

JC