[Samba] few quick domain questions

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Thu Dec 23 09:05:11 MST 2010

On 12/23/2010 9:11 AM, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> 1.  Domain Admins, Domain Computers etc
>

> Those are well known groups.   Do you have any windows servers or are
> they just samba servers?    If you have, or plan to have, any Windows
> machines in the domain you are probably better off setting up the groups
> correctly rather than trying to fix it later.
>
> Your domain controllers should belong to the "Domain Computers" group-
> I don't know if any permissions are by default applied to that group.

In an MS Active Directory domain, domain controllers are in a separate
OU and separate group called (oddly enough ...) "Domain Controllers".
:-) They are not in "Domain Computers" group or "Computers" OU; those
computers are only for member servers or member workstations.

I'm not using Samba as a domain controller in a Windows Server-less
domain, so maybe the situation is different there. Or if the directory
service in use is not MS ADS.