[Samba] samba4 AD controller, production

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 10 02:24:19 MST 2010

On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 08:52 -0800, Yassen Damyanov wrote:
> Hello, list,
>
> Anyone running a recent version of samba4 as the only one AD controller in the domain, *in production*? If so, what is your overall experience?
>
> I am going to make such an install for a site with some 50 users (and frankly speaking, I am frightened ... so give me some courage!)
>
> Would you recommend me to go ahead and do it? Latest release?

Yes, use the current GIT tree.  We hope to make an alpha14 release soon,
but there isn't any particular value in waiting for it.

We do have a number of production sites running Samba, including with
multiple servers and migrated domains from Windows.   A single DC
install is very simple in comparison :-).

You are free (indeed, it's better) to ask questions about Samba4 on the
samba-technical list, or join us on #samba-technical on
irc.freenode.net.

The code is still alpha, but that mostly means that we need you to work
with us closely when something goes wrong, so we can fix it up or work
around it as quickly as possible.

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.