[Samba] Windows 7 on startup always loads temporary profiles samba 3.4.8

Abe Lau abelau+samba at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 19:06:47 MDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM, German Molano <gmolano at ignios.net> wrote:

> Disable completly the roaming profile behavior Win 7 Workstations, this
> could be done by  registry.
>
> HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System LocalProfile 1 REG_DWORD
> HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System ReadOnlyProfile 1 REG_DWORD
> Remenber that this could takes effect only after a Windows restart ...
>
> Second, disable logon path directive unless you need it
>
> ;logon path = \\%L\homes\%U\profile
> logon path =
>
> If you need it copy a Default profile generated by Windows 7 to this
> folder, you could found it on c:\users folder on any Windows 7 Workstation.
>
> Third there is a registry value on Windows 7, called ProfileList
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \
> ProfileList
>
> Sometimes when you test or login for first time Windows 7 Workstation, it
> will write this registry with the user profile path, I don't know how the
> heck it mixed Temporary profiles with local profiles definition, the result
> every time you log in with a user it recreates the profile on c:\users\TEMP
>  but the system initially do not recognize the profile as a temporary but as
> Local or Mobile, depending on your definition. At the logout of the user
> session it treats the profile as a temporary one deleting the TEMP folder
> and all changes you done on it --Nasty thing --.
> So my advice delete those entries where the domain users gets c:\users\TEMP
> as the default profile path.
>
> Then log in the user to create a truly own Local profile.
>
> I use kixtart tools to do most of this work, i disable the folder
> redirection for those users that use local profiles, to them they use the
> default folders locations. I believe that there is something related with
> the folder redirection setting and this annoying behavior --deleting the
> whole profile--.
>
> I found out a Registry value that affects Windows Vista and 7 Workstations
> MachineProfilePath
> HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
> Is for roaming profiles, but maybe could be tricked to be mobile or "local"
> if you set local or mobile the path as you need it.

Hi,
I am getting into this local profile problem with Windows 7 (x64).

Following the thread, and German's previous suggestion of KiXtart, I came up
with using the following KiXtart script to set the registry key with logon
script.

; Disable Roaming Profiles
;  Key doesn't seems to exist, create if necessary
IF NOT
KeyExist("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System")

AddKey("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System")
ENDIF

WriteValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System",
"LocalProfile", "1", "REG_DWORD")
         WriteValue("HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System",
"ReadOnlyProfile", "1", "REG_DWORD")

However, I cannot find the key being created under HKLM\Software, nor
HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node

I am not sure if it is related to 64-bit Windows 7, or if it is a registry
write permission issue, or a KiXtart issue.  Any idea how I may target it?

Abe