[Samba] Migrating samba domain to new computer.

John McMonagle johnm at advocap.org
Thu Aug 26 13:44:51 MDT 2010

Should have read this first:
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/upgrades.html#id2600749

Problem is I did it the wrong way on a few production systems.
Odds are this is the second time I did it wrong.

Running Debian Lenny using smbldap.
It mostly works.
Existing members of the domain are working OK.
The first thing that got my attention is was not able to join a new xp
workstation to the domain.

Also noticed that the server is not a member of the domain.
net rpc testjoin
[2010/08/26 14:20:26,  0]
rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:get_schannel_session_key_common(2449)
  get_schannel_session_key: could not fetch trust account password for
domain 'ADVOCAP'
[2010/08/26 14:20:26,  0] utils/net_rpc_join.c:net_rpc_join_ok(87)
  net_rpc_join_ok: failed to get schannel session key from server FONDY for
domain ADVOCAP. Error was NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
Join to domain 'ADVOCAP' is not valid: NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO

Can not join domain:
 net join -U administrator
Enter administrator's password:
[2010/08/26 14:25:48,  0] utils/net_rpc_join.c:net_rpc_join_newstyle(349)
  error setting trust account password: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

tdbdump secrets.tdb
does not show any entry for the server

Looked at one of the old  servers secrets.tdb
and it did not have and entry for that server either.

Any suggestions on the best way to fix this?

John