[Samba] how to set folder redirection on Windows 7 with a Samba PDC

German Molano gmolano at ignios.net
Sat Aug 21 22:48:54 MDT 2010

  On 21/08/2010 10:54 p.m., Abe Lau wrote:
> Hi,
> I have read that Windows 7 is using a new admx format and that it is not
> compatible with the old-school poledit.  If I would like to stick with a
> Samba PDC, is there any elegant way to get Windows 7 client to obey the
> folder redirection(and possibly other rules) set using poledit&
> NTConfig.pol?

Yes there is a way to do folder redirection with kixtart tools  you can
write directly to the Windows Registry modyfing the Workstation Settings.

In your netlogon start up script call kix32 runtime with your own script
with some values like these:

$UserShellFolders =
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders"
WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "Personal", "H:\Documents", "REG_SZ")
WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "AppData", "H:\.winsettings\appdata",
"REG_SZ")
WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "Desktop", "H:\WinDesktop", "REG_SZ")
WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "My Music", "H:\Music", "REG_SZ")
WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "My Pictures", "H:\Pictures", "REG_SZ")
WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "My Video", "H:\Videos", "REG_SZ")
WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}",
"H:\Downloads", "REG_SZ")