[Samba] Samba + set POSIX ACL's over Windows

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 04:41:21 MDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Oliver Weinmann
<oliver.weinmann at vega.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we recently purchased a NAS (QNAP) with Samba version 3.5.2. In order to assign permissions on subfolders we enabled Posix ACL's. The problem is that we need to allow only a certain group to do this. The ACL entries in our smb.conf are the following:
>
>        acl compatibility = auto
>        acl check permissions = Yes
>        acl group control = Yes
>        acl map full control = Yes
>        force unknown acl user = No
>        inherit acls = No
>        nt acl support = Yes
>        profile acls = No
>        map acl inherit = Yes

Can your NAS support NFSv4 ACL's? I've recently been going through
this with Samba 3.5.x and NetApps for back end storage, and it allows
more sophistication. The changes have to be made on the UNIX or Linux
side, but Samba can work with them. This can control read/write
access, and enforce inheritance for sub direcoties.