[Samba] Throughput problem with Samba 3.3.4 over VPN

Thu Aug 5 13:21:31 MDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 11:15:58AM -0400, Ludovic Rouse-Lamarre wrote:
> You are right. Speeds are amazing with smbclient. I got 6Mbps in
> Montreal and 16Mbps on amazon. When using filezilla I observed the block
> size was much bigger with smbclient. It is 16KB when mounting with fstab
> cifs and its 128KB with smbclient. I am guessing this is what needs to
> be fixed, right?

That's one thing. The parallel issue of multiple requests
that smbclient does is the other one.

> We mostly use windows XP professional but we also have
> mac and fedora. Any tips on how to fix our clients?

You might want to talk to Microsoft, Apple or the Fedora
Project about these issues.

But honestly -- I don't see this will significantly improve.
Network file systems are just not made for high latencies.
The only one I know that might have a chance is OpenAFS.

Volker