[Samba] mounting as cifs not working in Debian, works in Windows though

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Mon Aug 2 03:15:56 MDT 2010

H.S. [mailto:hs.samix at gmail.com] wrote:
>On 30/07/10 05:02 AM, Moray Henderson wrote:
>> H.S. [mailto:hs.samix at gmail.com] wrote:
>>> I have a Debian machine running Unstable acting as a samba server.
The
>>> server was installed a few days ago after a reinstall of the OS. The
>>> older installation's samba configs were backed up and restored after
>>> installation.
>>>
>>> The Samba shares are accessible if I access them from a Windows 7
>>> client. The shares, however, cannot be accessed from a Debian client
>>> (newly installed amd64 Testing). The error I get from the Debian
client
>>> <SNIP>
>>> What am I missing here?
>>
>> Things to check:
>>
>>    Rather than mounting, can you use smbclient to access the share?
>>    Do you see any better errors in the logs of either client or
server?
>>    Is client running SELinux or equivalent?
>
>I can browse the shares via dolphin in KDE. I can use smbclient and it
>appears to work:
>$ smbclient -L //192.168.0.8  -U hs
>Enter hs's password:
>Domain=[SMBWG] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.8]
>
>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>         ---------       ----      -------
>         print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
>         Pictures        Disk      Pictures Repository
>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (red server)
>         hs              Disk      Home Directories
>Domain=[SMBWG] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.8]
>
>         Server               Comment
>         ---------            -------
>         RED                 red server
>
>         Workgroup           Master
>         ---------            -------
>         SMBWG               red
>

>No, there is no selinux running on samba server. The server's log also
>do not show anything abnormal. I get info regarding the smbclient
stuff,
>but no info regarding the error 13 that cifs mounting is giving me.

How about SELinux on the client - that may deny permission for remote
mounts if the mount point has the wrong context.

Can you mount other filesystems (USB stick, for example) via sudo?

Your original example said:
>~$ sudo mount -v -t cifs -o user=<username> //sambaserver/Share
>~/mnt/Share
>Password: .... <username's password here> ....
>mount.cifs kernel mount options:
>ip=192.168.0.8,unc=//sambaserver/Share,,ver=1,user=<username>,pass=****
***
>*
>mount error(13): Permission denied

Was mount.cifs picking up the correct password there?  Can you sudo to a
shell, and give the mount command with all the options on the command
line?

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"