[Samba] Can join AD 2003 domain; can't list shares from other servers

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Sat Apr 24 13:50:55 MDT 2010

On 04/24/2010 03:36 PM, grant little wrote:
> Also you say that other systems work fine. Are they the same version of
> samba on the same OS and version? As in are we comparing apples with
> apples...

I only have one other Linux machine with Samba. The other machine:

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Release:	9.10
Codename:	karmic

It can do a "smbclient -L" to a Linux machine, or to the 2 Windows boxes:

turgon at workhorse:~$ smbclient -L turgon-laptop
Enter turgon's password:
Domain=[DACRIB] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (turgon-laptop server (Samba
3.4.0, Domain: DACRIB, Server: turgon-laptop - NT1))
	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
Domain=[DACRIB] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	TURGON-LAPTOP        turgon-laptop server (Samba 3.4.0, Domain: , Ser

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------
	DACRIB

However, it can NOT do a smbclient to itself!

$ smbclient -L localhost
Enter turgon's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

$ smbclient -L workhorse
Enter turgon's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

This is leading me to think the problem is with workhorse, and not with
turgon-laptop.