[Samba] Snow Leopard and Samba

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Tue Apr 20 16:24:35 MDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:22 AM, jjrowan <samba at rownetco.com> wrote:

> A customer has an expanding number of Mac computers.  Last Friday and
> existing machine started having problems writing files to a Samba share on a
> CentOS 5.x server.  They had no problems prior to Friday.

This issue is caused by the recent OSX 10.6.3 update not supporting wide
links (see the Samba wide links security problem:
secunia.com/advisories/38454/).
See here for a discussion:
splatdot.com/fixing-snow-leopard-10-6-3-samba-write-access
<http://splatdot.com/fixing-snow-leopard-10-6-3-samba-write-access>

If you are running the latest versions of Samba you will not experience this
problem because wide links are disabled by default. If you are not running a
current version, you do not need to disable unix extensions entirely, simply
disable wide links in your Samba's smb.conf file:

wide links = no
getwd cache = yes

* Enabling the getwd cache is recommended here:
oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/appb_02.html
But whether it is relevant in this day and age I don't know.

David