[Samba] Encryption

Andrew Malton andrew.malton at esentire.com
Sat Apr 17 05:24:48 MDT 2010

I want to (continue to) use Samba code to obtain data needed by my
Linux client.  This is currently done by calls into Samba's
libraries.  Unfortunately the resulting rpc traffic is unencrypted.
I think this has to do with the configuration of encryption
mechanisms on both sides, but perhaps (since when talking to older
Windows systems, e.g. Windows 2000) encryption (with NTLM SSP I
suppose) is used.

Does Samba always use encryption  when it can?  or are there
mechanisms that Windows can now insist on that Samba cannot use?

If the latter, is improved support for protocol encryption a future
plan for Samba development?

Thanks for any help (in the form of pointers to documentation if
there are things I've missed).