[Samba] smbd will not start

Bill Purcell william at whpiv.net
Fri Apr 9 09:23:23 MDT 2010

At Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:11:26 -0500,
Bill Purcell wrote:
> At Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:52:43 +0200,
>
> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 09:25:10AM -0500, Bill Purcell wrote:
> > > libwbclient is already installed
> >
> > That is the same version that you have just compiled? That
> > means, is smbd compiled from the same Samba source tarball
> > that the libwbclient that you have installed in your system
> > right now?
> >
> I used aptitude to install the package.  So it was pre-compiled
> before installation on my system.  If the version of libwbclient
> should match the version of samba and samba-common, then I might have
> a problem.

I downloaded the right deb version and installed it. Now I can get
smbd to run but can't list the shares. What can I take as a next step?

[10:13:48] ~/tmp$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
Stopping Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
[10:18:09] ~/tmp$ smbclient -L localhost
Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
[10:18:12] ~/tmp$ ps -A | grep mb
13679 ?        00:00:00 nmbd
13681 ?        00:00:00 smbd
13690 ?        00:00:00 smbd

[10:06:14] ~$ dpkg -l | egrep "samba|libwb"
ii  libwbclient0                              2:3.2.5-4lenny9            client library for interfacing with winbind service
ii  samba                                     2:3.2.5-4lenny9            a LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix
ii  samba-common                              2:3.2.5-4lenny9            Samba common files used by both the server and the client

I also tried using an IP address and I get a different error.