[Samba] winbind and smb tries to auth as pdc$ rather than local name when using ADS

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Wed Sep 23 20:02:55 MDT 2009

> As it seams the server tries to authenticate as pdc$ rather than
> presidio3$ which is the hostname of the server and the name it's
> registered as. What could the cause of this be?
>
> smb.conf:
>    workgroup = PRESIDIO
>    password server = pdc.domain.com
>    realm = DOMAIN.COM
>    security = ads
> 	netbios name = presidio3

I think the workgroup is meant to be the short version of the domain, so
if your realm is DOMAIN.COM your workgroup should be DOMAIN.

Are you trying to join Samba to the domain?  If so, you shouldn't need
to specify a password server, that's only used to check passwords when
Samba isn't part of the domain (IIRC.)  If you intend to add Samba as a
normal PC inside the domain then password authentication will work
(perhaps courtesy of winbind) without specifying a password server.

Cheers,
Adam.